MAPLEWOOD STATION ARTWORK SUBMISSIONS
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
The Maplewood Arts Council is thrilled to announce a REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS (RFP) for artwork to transform the first of two pedestrian tunnels running beneath the NJ Transit tracks in Maplewood, New Jersey. Phase 1 of this project, “The Gallery,” concerns the tunnel passing beneath the NJ Transit tracks that connects the north end of the Ricalton parking lot on Maplewood Avenue with the train station.
The improved tunnel should achieve two goals:
1) It should INSPIRE people on the move, and
2) It should present Maplewood as a VIBRANT artistic community.
Proposals and artwork should capture the vitality of this passageway; more than 2,000 travelers pass through these tunnels each day. This artwork has the potential to bring our artists and our commuters into a conversation about what it means to be a part of our community.
We hope to encourage a range of diverse applications from artists of many disciplines, early artists as well as professional artists. We will give heavy preference to artists who live in the Maplewood/South Orange area, but also hope to accept applications from artists along the entire Morris & Essex Rail Line – from NYC to Gladstone/Dover, New Jersey. Teams of artists are also encouraged to apply; we are open to collaborative efforts. Please note that the award per piece remains the same (see below).
This is NOT a mural project. We are looking for artists who represent a wide range of vision and media. We’re looking for Paintings, Mosaics, Textiles, Photography and Graffiti!
GUIDELINES FOR PHASE ONE
TUNNEL WILL HOUSE THE WORK OF 8 ARTISTS
- Each artist will be limited to one piece of artwork, which will be created on a 4’ x 8’ horizontally-oriented panel.
- Each panel will be a freestanding unit created on nautical-grade plywood.
- Panels will be hung on tunnel walls using rear-mounted hardware.
$1,000 AWARD FOR EACH ARTIST
The MAC will make the final selection of the artists. Each artist (or team of artists) selected will be given a one thousand dollar ($1,000) award per piece. Materials supplied will include one, 4’ x 8’ piece of nautical-grade plywood.
March 22, 2019 - Deadline for Submission
April 5, 2019 -Artist Notifications
May 18, 2019 - Work Completion
June 1, 2019 - Public Unveiling
(Note: The above timeline is subject to change.)
ART IN MOTION is a partnership between the Maplewood Arts Council (MAC) representing the Township of Maplewood, and New Jersey Transit (NJT), which owns, operates and maintains the train station and tunnels. The Township has received permission from NJT to undertake ART IN MOTION, subject to NJT’s review and approval of the overall installation. NJT will not be involved in decisions about the proposals accepted or the content of the artwork.
As per Maplewood Township Committee Resolution #115-18, MAC is authorized to undertake ART IN MOTION, including recruiting artists and deciding on artwork, entering into agreements with the artists, raising funds, negotiating with NJT, and monitoring the installation of the artwork so as to meet all safety and health rules and regulation.
Additional considerations for artists:
1. The artwork will be displayed in a public accommodation and people will come in contact with the art. Additionally, the tunnel is below ground. MAC is not responsible if the artwork is damaged by natural or human causes.
2. Once the award is given to the artist, ownership of the artwork shall be conveyed to the MAC along with rights to it licensing and copyrighting. Artist shall not make reproductions without MAC’s prior written permission.
3. MAC has sole authority to install and remove the artwork and to determine the duration of display of the artwork.
4. The Township of Maplewood’s insurance policies cover the MAC but do not cover the artist.